Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I LOVE this picture of my boys!

Colby getting ready to brush his teeth.

Grady's scar is very light - you can barely see it in pictures.

Grady had his appointment for the gastric study yesterday. We were just going to drive up in the morning, but they were calling for a snow storm so we decided to go to Cleveland Monday night. Ronald McDonald House was full, so we had to stay at a motel in downtown Cleveland. Jolie went with me again - it is so nice to have help on these trips! Grady's appointment was at 9:30 in the morning. In order to do the test, they put some nuclear medicine in his formula & had him drink it right before they started. They strapped him flat on his back onto this little board & a machine took pictures of his insides (digesting food) for 1 hour. He screamed for about 20 minutes & then finally gave up. After that, we stopped in to see cardiology just to have his blood drawn. They wanted to check his iron levels. Right now he is taking vitamins with iron & they are nasty. They were hoping if his levels are high enough that he will no longer need that medicine. That would be great - it is the one medicine that he fights with us to take in the morning! Colleen (transplant nurse) called me this morning & said that his levels are great. She is discussing with Dr. Boyle whether he needs to take the vitamins at all - she is pushing to eliminate it completely but I think Dr. Boyle wants him to stay on the vitamins without iron. She will call me back once they reach a decision.

We don't have the results of the gastric study yet - hopefully they will call soon. If everything looks good, the pediatrician would like to start Grady on rice cereal. Hopefully, this would make him feel more full so I don't have to feed him every 1 1/2 - 2 hours during the day.

Life here is just crazy. It is almost noon and I am still in my pajamas but I did give Grady his meds (not an option), 2 bottles, a bath and Colby and I had breakfast AND Colby is dressed as well - so it's just me. I wanted to blog because I haven't for a while & I was afraid I wouldn't have time later today. I am hoping to venture out to Walmart tonight when Ken comes home. I need a lot of stuff & I haven't been shopping since I'm home. Fortunately, I have a lot of family & friends that offer to pick things up for me when they are out but now I am ready to get out for something other than a Dr. appointment!

Well - I better get going if I plan on taking a shower today. Grady is sleeping so here is my chance! I will let you know the results of the gastric study as soon as I get them.

They just called with the results - good timing! The test showed no significant acid reflux. Apparently the medications are working because they said not to change them & we don't need to follow up unless there is a problem. Praise the Lord!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful..wonderful! Glad the test were looking good. Havent commented in a while..we've been going through a lot here in the last few weeks. But I have checked the site every so often. Think of you all a lot. Hope someday soon..when the weather is warmer and kills the bug in the air, we can meet little Grady and see you all again. Until then want you to know that you all are thought of often.
Love you guys,
Jordan, Sarah, and Elliot

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news!! Praise God!! I love the picture of Colby and Grady-soooo cute! I enjoy getting to go to the store all by myself, I love my kids but...I kinda know how you feel! We will continue to pray. Tammy Loos

Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to hear all the good news. I love the pic. of Colby and Grady. Very cute. Mom said you got 12 inches of snow your way. It is supposed to be in the 60's for the next couple days. Wes and Earl leave Sat. I am actually looking forward to a few days with the kids. I also have a few projects I want to get done.

Took Courtney to the Dr. today. She has an ear infection and a few other things going on. We need to keep an eye on her for two weeks and hopefully we will see some improvements.

Well take care. Hope you make it to Wal-Mart. We love you!
--Leah

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm so glad you were able to go out tonight and have some time to yourself. I hope you had a great time and found some super deals too! I love the picture of Colby and Grady together!! Really cute!!! I'll see you soon.
Love,
Rosy

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie, glad to see things are going well....the picture of Grady and Colby is absolutely precious....make sure you tell all the boys John says hi! Texas has been good but it's hard at times not being able to just get up and go see friends and family whenever I feel like it. I was so happy to hear you and Grady finally made it home a few weeks ago but sad I couldn't come see you all. I've still only seen him in pictures....anyway, know that I'm thinking about you guys and prayin for you. Take care, peace and love,
John Menno

Tiffany Evans said...

Jeannie,

Wonderful news! Look at all those smiles!!! I love it!!!

I always have the kids ready, too, and not myself. That's funny.

Have a great day! Hope you made it to Walmart!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie,
Looks like everyones happy on your end. The picture of the boys is so good!!!
I remember when the twins were born I didn't get out much either. I kept telling people that a trip to walmart was a vacation for me, because for an hour or so I wasn't worried about feedings or diapers or what the house looked like. I'm sure Leah can also vouch for me!
Just remember that housework and everything else won't get legs and walk off. Mine sure didn't, although I'm not sure that I woudl've minded if it did. Hope you had a chance to get some fresh air and groceries.
Thanks for the picture of Gradys scar...the docs did a great job....soon you won't be able to see much of it.
P. s. There are nites I go to bed and have to change from one pair of jammies to the next. =)
Love Amy