Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hanging out in his bouncy seat.

Hospital hat/bonnet - time for a trip to Old Navy.

Sporty outfit I picked out especially to go see Dr. Boyle.


I feel like I am finally starting to settle in to the move to rehab. Monday thru Wednesday were rough but today was good. I got over there around 10:30. Yes - I slept in. I am in a terribly bad habit of staying up until 1:00 in the morning & then I can't get up at a decent time. I've tried going to bed earlier but then I toss & turn until midnight or 1:00 so I figure I might as well stay up & watch tv or surf the internet.

Grady had an appointment with Dr. Boyle (cardiologist) today at 2:30. Since Dr. Boyle is at the main hospital we had to take him there - which was interesting. Since he is a patient at the rehab hospital, they have to transport him. They assign a nurse to take your child to all of his appointments. Parents can ride along (which I did) if they want to. They were getting him ready to go & my nurse asked if I had a coat & hat & I said no. I know it sounds silly, but I didn't realize that we would be going on trips like this. She said it's ok - the rehab hospital keeps hats & coats there for that reason. She went & got this blue suit to put over his clothes & a blue hat - which was really more like a bonnet (see picture). It had strings to tie it in the front & these little balls at the end of the strings - you can't see it on the picture. Grady looked hilarious! I know it's blue and all, but it looked really girly - and not just girly - Little House on the Prairie girly. It was so funny. I made sure to take it off as soon as we got into the hospital. There was no way I was going to let Dr. Boyle see him in it. Grady had one of those gowns on at rehab & I purposely changed him into a sporty outfit because I knew that Dr. Boyle would tease me if he was wearing anything girly. He had joked with Ken before his transplant about getting him a girl heart and changing his name to Grady Emily. So - we finally made it to the hospital in the rehab's van. The transport nurse is in charge of checking him in for his appointment & making future appointments. She also charts everything & takes care of any prescriptions or changes to Grady's orders. Grady had an echo and an EKG. A doctor came to examine him (don't remember his name) along with a medical student (don't remember his name either), our social worker, Mary (I remember her name - aren't you proud) & then the transplant nurse Colleen (we love her) came as well. Finally, Dr. Boyle arrived. He was very excited to see Grady. He held him with one arm & listened to his chest with his stethescope in the other hand. I was afraid Grady would push with his legs like he sometimes does and roll right out of his lap so I kept reaching over in case he would fall. Dr. Boyle thought it was pretty funny. He said he hasn't dropped any of his kids & he certainly won't drop mine. What a blessing it is to have Dr. Boyle as Grady's tranplant doc. He can relate very well with his patients & has a great sense of humor. He is always making us laugh! Dr. Boyle was very pleased with Grady's echo & EKG. He said Grady sounds a little congested - which we have noticed & mentioned to the nurses at rehab - and he wrote an order to start his albuterol treatments again. He doesn't think it's anything serious - it's more of a preventative treatment. Dr. Boyle gave me a hug & we were on our way back to rehab. It was so good to see everybody.

When we got back to rehab it was time for one of his scheduled oral feeds (he actually got a feed while at the main hospital but we put the entire feed thru his ng tube). The occupational therapist came in to help me with the feed. Since Grady doesn't latch on to the nipple very well, I have to support his cheeks and under his chin with my fingers and thumb as well as hold the bottle. It sounds complicated, but after watching the therapist do it I was able to figure it out. I am learning a lot about feeds. When Grady was at the main hospital, we pretty much stuck the bottle in his mouth & hoped he would drink it all. We never worried about pacing or watching his heart rate or anything like that - which is probably why he would throw a lot of his feeds back up. He hasn't thrown up once since he's been at rehab. Today he took 24 & 26 mls out of 52 during the 2 oral feeds I gave him. I know he sometimes took more at the main hospital but he would spit a lot of it back up. I really feel like we are making progress. Hopefully, tomorrow will be another good day. Ken and Colby will come tomorrow night - can't wait!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie,
I'm so glad that you had a good day. I knew you would get the hang of things. Grady looks great in his sporty outfit! What size is he wearing [0-3mon.}?
I look at Gradys piks everyday and it still amazes me at Gods grace and sovereignty! (I think i misspelled that).
Have a great day tomorrow!!!
In my prayers always,
Amy

Tiffany Evans said...

Jeannie,

Funny bonnet!

Isaac still requires a lot of chin/cheek support...I think my hands are getting stronger!

Keep up the good work! Have a great weekend as a fam!

Love,
Tiff

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie,

LOL that picture is priceless! I'm sure Grady will be proud of you one day for removing it as soon as you were in the hospital.

I am so thankful that you are adjusting to rehab so quickly. Hopefully this will be over soon.

I am going to stop in at your house today and check out the paint color.:) Hopefully we did a good job and it will look spectacular! Nothing less for the Schlabach boys!

Well better get my day started. I am going to work and then making a quick trip to your house and to Dover. Wow what an exciting day!;)

Talk to ya soon!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

HI JEANNIE,
THAT HAT IS SOOOO FUNNY AND REMINDS OF A PIC WE HAVE FROM LOGAN WHEN HE WAS TINY. THE NEIGHBOR LADY WAS SO SURE WE WERE HAVING A GIRL MSHE CROCHETED HIM A PINK HAT LIKE THAT W/ A MATCHING SWEATER , SO AFTER HE WAS BORN SHE BROUGHT IT OVER TO TAKE A PIC. SOOO FUNNY . I AM SO GLAD U HAVE SUCH NICE DR. THAT MEANS SO MUCH WE LOVE ALL THE DOCS AT AULTMAN WE MET DR MCDANIEL FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY . HE IS THE FUNNY MAN.
HANG IN THERE, LINDA

Anonymous said...

Jeannie,
I love the pics of you and your little men! You are right about the hat, I think one of my girls had one almost like that :) I will continue to pray for you as a mom, it can't be easy, but you are doing a great job!!
God Bless,
Virginia

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie,
I love the pictures! It cracks me up the kind of stuff they expect parents to wear on their kids. It will be a funny picture for his baby book.

I'm glad you're adjusting and things are going better.

Colby is playing with his cars. His favorite thing to do is to hide them and find them. We only let him do about 6 because he forgets where he puts them, this way we can still find them. He is looking forward to coming to Cleveland today to be with you and Ken.

I hope you have a great weekend. Ours is full again, Cassie has a birthday party to go to and Brandon has a tournament tomorrow with about 5 matches. I had to buy some serious junk food for him because he is under weight and can't keep any pounds on so here come the donuts, chips, pastries, etc. Well, I better go I have lots to do today!
Love ya, Rosy
P.S. Your house is really coming along great, smells good too!

Leah said...

Jeannie,
Love the pics! I showed the twins the pictures and they giggled at the little house on the prairie one. You are doing a great job and are a great mom!
It has been really hard for me lately not being able to be there. This week was rough but I shouldn't complain, it doesn't even scratch the surface of what you have and are going through. The whole family means a lot to me, wish I could be there!
Love ya too!
--Leah

Amy said...

Jeannie~
I don't think any amount of pom pom hats or even pink could make him look like any less of a boy!!He is soooo cute. Glad to hear of the progress.
Amy