Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grady sleeping peacefully in his swing (still at rehab).

So we hit a little bump in the road today. When I went over to rehab this morning, Grady was very fussy. I thought it was just because he was hungry, so I got his bottle and tried to feed him, but he wouldn't take it. His heart rate kept going up - much higher than his normal rate and his respiratory rate was very high as well. He settled down for a little bit, but then started screaming and there was nothing I could do to calm him down. The doctor and the nurse came in & were very concerned. The doctor told me right then we won't be going home today (and I wouldn't want to go home not knowing he is ok). I guess he wouldn't take any of the feeds last night either so they were all put thru his ng tube. They called Dr. Boyle at the main campus & decided that we should take him in to be examined. We were getting ready to go and he started to act like he was hungry (almost time for his 12:00 feed) so I gave him his bottle and he took 55 out of 60 mls! His numbers all came back down & he seemed fine.

We still went to see Dr. Boyle, just to be safe, they did an echo, ekg and took chest x-rays and everything looked good. Grady was happy & cooing - he was like a different baby. They decided to send us back to rehab and continue his oral feeds. They are going to see how he does without using the ng tube at all - so if he only takes 30 mls, they will not put the other 30 thru the tube. They will just feed him when he is hungry and give him as much as he will take. They are not sure what caused his numbers to go up like they did. They think that he was just so out of his routine from the biopsy yesterday. The night before the biopsy from midnight to 4am he was only allowed to have clear liquids & then nothing after 4am. The procedure was done at 8:30am & he didn't get anything to eat until 3pm (and he wouldn't take his bottle at that time). I know I can get a little out of sorts when I'm not in a routine, I can't imagine what it's like for a baby who relies on routine.

We are still hoping to be home within the next couple of days - we have all of his prescriptions filled (they just need to be checked by rehab), a supply of his special formula should be arriving tomorrow, the nurse went over all the meds with me and if I have to, I'll learn how to put the ng tube in so we can go home. Strangely, I am not too discouraged with today's events. I know that Grady is fine and when you've been here for 4 1/2 months, what's a couple more days!

Answer to Comments:

Amy - I do plan on blogging after we get home. I'm not sure yet if I will be able to blog every night or not - I will have to see how things go.

Cheryl - I am so glad to hear from you - we loved having you as Grady's primary nurse at Rainbow - you did a wonderful job & gave us some comfort when there was very little hope - I am amazed that you remember us and took the time to find our blog. By the way, how did you find it? Can you please let Dr. Bailey know how Grady is doing? She made us promise to let her know how things turn out in the long run. Tell Amy & all the nurses in nursery 7 we said hi - we love all of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie,
My heart went out to you guys yesterday when this little "bump in the road" came along. But I praise God that Grady bounced back so quickly and it looks like it was just a glitch from being out of his routine. I pray he will still be able to go home this week. It was neat to hear one of your Rainbow nurses respond. It feels like forever since he was there. He has come a long way since Rainbow!

Mariah is finally going back to school today! She is really excited. Cassie is still not getting any better and is running a low temp. The school said they had lots of kids out sick, and not just for a day or two but more like a whole week. There is lots of upper respiratory stuff going around. I am going to call the Doctor again to find out if her labs came back yet for Strep. The rapid test came back negative but we've often had the labs come back positive so I am still wondering if that's not what it is.

So, the Pirates beat the Hawks!!! Ken ended up going after all, he was pretty pumped!

Colby is still sleeping, hew loves his cozy little spot downstairs, he's so cute. When I put him to bed he asked if Grady was coming home today and I told him I don't know. He is excited for his baby brother too. Then he made sure to remind me that we need to hide cars in the morning and that we (I) need to play Webkinz for him because he needs more money. He bought more girl clothes for his boy puppy. Mariah was trying to help tell him what to buy but he knew what he wanted. Now Aunt Rosy needs to play more games so he can get more stuff!!!:>) He cracks me up!!!

Well, I better go. I hope to see you soon.
Love ya,
Rosy

Leah said...

Hey! Sorry to hear that Grady didn't get to come home. I will say though that you had a great attitude about it. I'm not convinced I would've handled it as well as you did. I will continue to pray that in God's time Grady can come home.

The twins are in the tub so I better go! I love you.
--Leah